Thursday, 17 July 2014

Word crimes

I knew that Weird Al Yankovic was a grammar snob, but this song is just insulting. People who use less with count nouns (like Shakespeare) were raised in a sewer. People who use figurative "literally" (like Dickens and Fitzgerald) are stupid. Use any words that Yankovic doesn't like and you're a "moron", "dumb mouth-breather", "spastic", haven't finished second grade.

I'd like to think he's aware of the irony, that he's being just as childish as he accuses others of being. 

3 comments :

Vijay said...

Hi ,

I have a similar blog on linguistics. I have added your website in my blogroll. My website url is http://langind.blogspot.com. I hope you like my blog. Can you please add my blog in your blogroll.

Thanks,
Vijay

speedwell said...

I think that's kind of the point, really.

goofy said...

I think that's kind of the point, really.

I'm not sure. Yankovic is a grammar snob. He said:


When I came up with the idea for 'Word Crimes,' I thought, ‘That's great because I'm always correcting people's grammar; it's kind of a big deal with me. In fact, I've done some funny videos for YouTube where I'm correcting road signs and making the grammar better on the highway and in the supermarket.’"


http://www.npr.org/2014/07/12/329873481/weird-al-yankovic-on-parody-in-the-age-of-youtube