Saturday, 20 July 2013

shampoo

shampoo is from Hindi चाँपो cāṃpo, the imperative of चाँपना cāṃpanā "to press, squeeze, knead".
Originally shampoo meant "To knead and press the muscles with the view of relieving fatigue".
"Shampooing is an operation not known in Europe, and is peculiar to the Chinese, which I had once the curiosity to go through, and for which I paid but a trifle. However, had I not seen several China merchants shampooed before me, I should have been apprehensive of danger, even at the sight of all the different instruments…
A Voyage to the E. Indies in 1747 and 1748. London, 1762, p. 226.

It's tempting to connect the Hindi word to Sanskrit jambh- "crush, destroy, bite".

This Sanskrit word is from the Proto-Indo-European *ǵembh- "tooth, nail", which gives us English comb. Sanskrit जम्भ jambha means "tooth, tusk".

No comments :