Thursday, 23 October 2008

literature map

epea pteroenta has found a cool meme:

A simple, two-step approach for generating your own, fully personalized, 21st century, Web 2.0-based reading list:
1. Make a list of the top three books that have influenced your life, and make a note of the authors’ names
2. Visit Literature-Map, plug each author name into the text box (one at a time, naturally) and generate a cloud of related authors. That ought to keep you busy for a while!

Thanks for playing. Have a nice day.

Here are my three life-changing prose authors:

Mervyn Peake, Titus Groan
Italo Calvino, Cosmicomics
James Blaylock, The Last Coin

Peake is on Blaylock's list, but not vice versa. Blaylock is listed twice, once as James P. Blaylock. Weirdly, the closest author to Peake is Euripides. In looking around the map, I discovered that Phillip K. Dick's middle name was Kindred. Anyway, I need to do more reading.

1 comment :

dveej said...

Ha ha! When I put in "Jack Vance", who is one of my faves, there in the resultant cloud was...Sister Wendy!!!! (the nun who makes art history TV shows - and quite good ones, say I).