Wednesday, 18 June 2008

tongue and language

Proto-Indo-European *dn̥ǵʰuh₂- "tongue" became Proto-Germanic *tuŋǥon, Old English tunge, and then tongue. The substitution of o for u before the n was a medieval scribal habit to avoid too many vertical strokes in a row.

In Latin, the root became lingua "tongue, speech, language". The change from /d/ to /l/ also happened with PIE *daḱru- "tear" becoming Latin lacrima. lingua became Old French langue, then langage, borrowed into English as language. The -age suffix is also found in baggage, carriage, damage, etc.

Dńghū is a group interested in bringing a "reconstructed Proto-Indo-European language to its full potential, and teaching it as a second language for all European Union citizens." They call this language Modern-Indo-European. I wonder what the Basques, Finns, Hungarians, Estonians, Maltese and Turks think of this.

3 comments :

Glen Gordon said...

"They call this language Modern-Indo-European. I wonder what the Basques, Finns, Hungarians, Estonians, Maltese and Turks think of this."

Hahaha, I've already had a broil with that guy, Carlos Quiles, about a year ago. After making a blog entry about his plans, he commented on my page effectively telling me to shut up about my criticisms towards the project. Whatever. I also confronted him with the same criticisms as you do above but to no avail. The guy is irritatingly thick-headed and blind to the rich cultural diversity of Europe. I suspect he's a "Personality Type 1" off to save the world from the "scourge" of multilingualism <:-(

The Ridger, FCD said...

They're not real Europeans. Let 'em make up their... er, come up with ... er, reconstruct ... er, revive their own ancestral tongues. And then move back home!

(j/k, in case it's not obvious)

Glen Gordon said...

Update on Carlos Quiles. After years of silence, he's suddenly decided to stir up trouble under an anonymous identity on the Jabal al-Lughat blogsite and pompously link his site in poor Lameen Souag's commentbox with a really really long rant about how horrible I am and how all my theories are evil and killed his parents and all that. Lol. Apparently this guy still has a nutty hard-on for me after more than a year of forgetting to write about his politically ignorant views.

My guess is that this is just a cheap tactic to get easy hits in order to up his booksales. What a nut. Maybe if only someone out there would finally buy just one of his books, he'll lay off me. His angry page of slander only lasted a few days before it seems that it was conveniently taken offline.

But he doesn't understand that Google Cache preserves anyone's b.s. for a very long time making it impossible for cowards to simply erase their slander without dealing with the consequences of their ill choices. Poor Carlos. Karma's a bitch.

I guess this is the point where I'm supposed to feel bad about my involvement on the internet and quit constructively sharing ideas online. Lol, not! Bullies suck. Fight back.