Friday, 18 April 2008

tagged

I've been tagged by AdamX.

1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 (or more) pages.

Comic books won't work for this game, so I'll pick the novel I'm currently reading: At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O'Brien.

2.  Open the book to page 123 and find the 5th sentence.

What in the name of God, he asked, do you mean by throwing a question like that at me?

3. Post the next 3 sentences.

Eh?

I was wondering, said the Pooka.

A kangaroo?

4. Tag Five People.

I'm not going to tag anyone. If you want to be tagged, consider yourself tagged.

Interestingly, the blogger who tagged AdamX, Siegfried, calls this game a "me-me" instead of "meme". This is a reanalysis of the spelling of an unfamiliar word - a spelling eggcorn. I think it's the first one I've ever seen.

5 comments :

AdamX said...

I'll add At Swim-Two Birds to my to read list.

A college student who never goes to class, that sounds like me when I was at University.

zmjezhd said...

Very strange. The nearest book is a Latin-English dictionary which is almost under my right elbow as I type this. Page 123. Fifth sentence doesn't much apply. How about the fifth lemma? furiālis adj of the Furies; frenzied, frantic, furious; infuriated. The next three lemmata? furiālīter adv frantically. furibundus -a -um adjfrenzied, frantic, mad; inspired. fūrīnus -a -um adj of thieves. Reminds me of a writing technique developed by Oulipo, called S+7, where you replace all nouns in a text with the noun in a dictionary seven place past the entry for the original noun. At Swim-Two-Birds is a favorite of mine; that, and The Third Policeman.

bulbul said...

I guess Classics are on the menu today in the meme buffet :)

1. Marian Golias: "Wstępna nauka języka greckiego" ("An introduction to Greek").

2. Page 123 is in the glossary section, so it's entry no. 5:

ἐγκωμιάζω - wychwałam, sławię, opiewam (I praise, I glorify, I sing praises of)

3.
ἐγκώμιον - pochwała (praise)
ἐγχειρίδιον - nóż, sztylet (knife, dagger)
ἐγχειρίζω - wręczam (I give, I hand over)

goofy said...

I love The Third Policemen, it's one of my favourite novels. So far At Swim-Two-Birds is just as entertaining. Thanks for the interesting lemmas.

zmjezhd said...

ἐγχειρίδιον

A great word with a double meaning: 'dagger' or 'manual, handbook'. Erasmus wrote Enchiridion militis Christiani which means 'handbook or dagger of the Christian soldier'. He did seem drawn to ambiguity; cf. his other link with bulbul's list: Moriæ Encomium 'in praise of folly / [St Sir Thomas] More'. I once toyed with learning Russian through the use of a Yiddish textbook in said language.